Car Insurance: 10 Terms to Know
August 19, 2022
Refresh your auto insurance know-how with these ten terms.
- Liability coverage – if you’re involved in a car accident and found at-fault, auto liability coverage can help pay for someone else’s bodily injuries and property damage.
- Comprehensive coverage – if you’re involved in a car accident not caused by a collision, auto comprehensive coverage can pay to repair or replace your vehicle. For example, losses from vandalism, theft, or inclement weather would typically be covered.
- Collision coverage – if you’re involved in a car accident and collide with an object such as another vehicle or a guardrail, auto collision coverage can pay to repair or replace your vehicle.
- Deductible – an auto insurance deductible is the amount of money you pay out of pocket toward a covered claim.
- Full coverage auto insurance – the term “full coverage auto insurance” isn’t a particular policy, but instead refers to a combination of coverages that protect you from a wide range of incidents. Full coverage auto insurance typically includes liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage, plus any other state-mandated coverages.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – PIP coverage can help pay medical bills and lost wages when you or your passengers are injured in a car accident, regardless of who is at fault. Depending on state law, PIP can be required or optional.
- Declarations page – a car insurance declarations page is a summary of your car insurance policy. It is typically the first page of your policy.
- Medical payments coverage (MedPay) – MedPay coverage can help pay medical expenses when you or your passengers are injured in a car accident, regardless of who is at fault. MedPay is an optional coverage in most states.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage – if you’re involved in a car accident with an at-fault driver who doesn’t have enough, or any, auto liability coverage, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage can help pay your medical expenses and the cost of vehicle repairs/replacement.
Looking for a quote? Request one online or visit us at 426 North Pine Street in Ellensburg.